I have always had great skin well if you minus the fact that I have allergies that cause my skin to flare up sometimes. Like when I eat goat meat. I am allergic to goat meat would you believe it? I eat it anyway. It is not so bad if it is not one of those hybrid goats, the dobaa. If it is one of those I get some red hives all over my body and I itch. That is when you have regrets after the fact. But that is part of the protein allergy that runs in the family. I also get the same hives when get I get bitten by mosquitoes those pesky little things. I hate them.
Anyway so I have always had good skin so I never really had to worry about it. My skin is uncomplicated. I can use any lotion/oil or soap and it doesn’t react badly. I like to keep things simple though. I love a lotion which moisturizes my skin the whole day. I don’t want to have to keep applying lotion all day except after washing my hands. I also love a lotion that smells good. You know that kind that makes your skin smell fresh. I also like a lotion that doesn’t feel like it is choking my skin. There are some lotions that are so heavy you feel like your skin cannot breathe and your skin is asking to be set free. I don’t have high expectations right?
The one thing that I have noticed though as I age is that my lotion requirements are becoming more specific. My skin is aging (this makes me want to cry) I thought I would have the skin I had at 18 forever. So now my requirements for a skin lotion have gone up. I don’t just need a skin lotion that smells good, is a moisturizer and is light. I need a lotion that has also tones my skin, and makes it look smooth and firm. I want my skin to speak for itself that I take care of it. Yes I do with all the fruits I eat every morning and all the water I drink. I will never apologize for the chocolate I eat but I am sure my skin understands that a gal needs a little sugar.
These are my tips for having good skin.
- Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. I love paw paws because they are good for your skin. And you can also use the skin as a cleanser. Anything that has Vitamin C is good for your skin.
- Use a lotion with sunscreen. I never used to believe in using sunscreen for black skin but with the incidences of black people getting skin cancer on the rise it is better to be safe than sorry. Also with the ozone layer getting damaged we get a lot more harmful rays coming our way.
- I love basking in the sun. But as you age you realize that just because you love something doesn’t mean it is good for you. Avoid harsh sunrays (between 10 am and 4 pm) when the rays are strongest and if you must hang out basking in the sun make sure you have sunscreen or a hat.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking is bad for your skin as it damages collagen and elastic which give your skin its elasticity and strength.
- I am guilty of this next tip. Do not shower with hot water for long periods as it removes oils from your skin and use warm not hot water to bathe.
- Do not use strong soaps or harsh cleansers on your skin. These can strip oil from your skin. Instead look for a gentle creamy cleanser. Leave the cleanser on your skin for a few minutes to let it remove the dirt and oil.
- Use moisturizer on your skin. Look for a moisturizer that suits your skin type.
- Stress is not good for your skin so manage your stress.
- Make antioxidants and Omega 3 part of your diet. Fish oil omega 2 is good for your skin as it hydrates your skin from the inside out. Also green tea, blueberries, green vegetables are good for fighting free radicals that damage our skin.
- Exercise is also good of your skin as it makes your skin glow.
- Get enough sleep. If you get enough sleep you do not have so much cortisol (stress hormone) which is damaging to your skin.
- If you didn’t know too much sugar is bad for your skin. So try to not take so much of it. Instead if you have a sweet tooth like me try to take more natural sugars like those found in fruits. But hey once in a while a bar of chocolate can’t hurt.
- Be careful about what kind of makeup you use. There are types of makeup that have harsh components that age your skin.
Psst Dark and Lovely has a Creme 6 line of lotion for baby soft skin. Check it out.