Our Pearls And Heels lady today is the inspiring Adelle Onyango. Adelle Onyango is a poet, radio presenter and founder of ProjectSHE, NO Means No, and most recently The SisterHood Series. She is also a vlogger, an actress and she also dabbles in music occasionally. Check out her blog www.adelleonyango.com.
- Describe your typical day?
I wake up at 4:30 am and scramble out of the house cursing why I didn’t prepare the night before. I get to the studio at 5:15 am and do a little prep for my show. 6 am I start my show on KissFM until 10 am. After which I prep for the next day’s show from 10:30 am until about 1 pm. Sometimes I have client briefing, shoots for my vlog and on the very few occasions I’m free – I go home and sleep.
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
I once wanted to be BEYONCE! Then that dream died even though I did music in high school and was part of the school choir. I just got bored of that dream. And then I wanted to be an aeronautical engineer until I realized I hated physics.
- If you had the chance to start your career over again, what would you do differently?
Not a damn thing – you WIN some you LEARN some.
- What would you say are the top three skills needed to succeed at your job?
- You’ve got to be a conversation starter.
- Multitasking is great because once you learn the technical aspects – you have to run the equipment while conversing live on air.
- Go the extra mile to get that scoop.
- As a professional how is it working in Nairobi? Is Nairobi open to what you do or what could be better?
Working in Nairobi is great. I think the mix of cultures means there’s a lot more stories to be told. However, as far as media is concerned, we need to adapt a little faster to the digital changes in the industry.
- What motivates you?
Me. I want to be a better me tomorrow than I was today.
- How do you define success?
Success to me is happiness. If I am happy with what I’m doing, I consider myself successful. If I’m not happy, I reevaluate my career decisions and I’m not afraid of drastic change.
- Who has been your greatest inspiration?
Caroline Mutoko because I’ve had the pleasure of being hired by her. She has had an open door policy for me throughout my stay at KISSFM. She always drops large chunks of wisdom my way which I don’t think I could get elsewhere.
- What is your favorite aspect of your job?
That I get to help people feel happier for 4 hours of their day.
- What would you say are the key elements to being successful?
Be you. That’s all.
- What advice would you give somebody just starting out in your line of work?
Find and curve your own lane. Don’t try and be like so and so. We already have so and so – what are you bringing to the table that’s different? Bring YOU!
- What has been your most satisfying moment in terms of career?
Every day! Every show. I have a strong connection with my listeners so they open up to me about their real issues and I help where I can. That is always satisfying.
- What makes you happy?
In life? Being able to be me as opposed to being told what to do. I’m a rebel. We thrive in wild individuality.
- What are your hobbies? What do you do in your non-work time?
Roadtrips but since because I work 6 out of 7 days a week – I settle for long drives. They help clear my mind and it’s where I brainstorm best. I love discovering new poets and musicians online. I read and write poetry.
- Where do you see yourself in around 10 years?