The versatility of Coconut oil is amazing!
Coconut oil is extracted from the kernel (the white part) of the mature coconut. It has been used for centuries by various communities around the world where the coconut palm is found. It has very many uses and can be used in almost every facet of your life. Here are a few ways you can use coconut oil;
- Hair Moisturizer. If you have embraced the beautiful natural hair fad that is sweeping over the world then you will understand the need for coconut oil. Our natural African hair is dry because the oil produced from the scalp cannot get to the ends of our hair, therefore, we have to constantly moisturize. Coconut oil is a great moisturizer. It also prevents hair breakage thus help your hair grow longer and healthier. It also softens the hair which can make detangling the hair a lot easier. You can add coconut oil to your hair treatment or apply it directly to your hair and the results are almost immediate.
- Moisturize your face also use it as an anti-ageing oil. Coconut oil is also great for your face for the same reason it’s good for your hair. It is a natural moisturizer for the skin. If your issue is dry skin it is a natural way to add moisture to your skin. Try applying it on your face after you have washed it. Do not put too much because you may oversaturate your skin and block your pores. If you have oily skin this may not be a good idea as it will add more oil which you do not need.
- Food Preservation. Due to its high saturated fat content, it is resistant to rancidification, therefore, it can last up to 6 months without spoiling. Try covering your eggs with coconut oil and putting it in the fridge to stop your eggs from spoiling.
- It is also great for cooking because it has a high smoking point as compared to other cooking oils such as olive oil. Because of its sweet aroma, it is great for baking and is a healthier alternative to butter. It is also used to enhance the flavour of curries. However, there has been some debate as to whether we should consume coconut oil because it has a high concentration of saturated fat. Saturated fat raises cholesterol levels and leads to weight gain. Therefore, please consume with caution.
- Teeth cleansing. Coconut oil can also be used to clean your teeth and help with gum related diseases. It is used in a process called pulling. If you swish the coconut oil in your mouth the bacteria will stick to it. I know it sounds disgusting but because coconut oil is not greasy and it is a light oil it is not as bad as having any other oil in your mouth. Coconut oil has also been used to increase absorption of calcium and magnesium. Lifestyle & Health: The Benefits Of Oil Pulling Your Teeth
- Weight loss. Coconut oil is said to increase your metabolic rate making you lose weight faster. The fats in coconut are healthy so take more of it with your food. The other great thing about it is that you can use it to clear your stretch marks once you lose weight.
- Coconut oil has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. You can use it to help in digestion, help fight stomach irritation and work on infection on the gut from candida. It makes it beneficial for immune support.
- Mental boost. Coconut oil is said to contribute to focus and mental performance.
- Hormone support. Coconut oils contain fats that support the body’s natural hormone production. This also makes it a good option for mothers who are trying to increase their breast milk.
- Other beauty uses: On the skin, it can be used as an oil cleanser, whipped with shea butter for body balm, it is an excellent eye makeup remover, used in deodorant, massage oil, you can rub it on cuticles to help your nails grow, use it on elbows to help alleviate dry, flaky elbows, use it as a baby lotion, or use it to avoid chlorine exposure when swimming.
- Some other benefits include: helping to improve sleep, supporting a healthy thyroid function, it improves insulin levels when consumed regularly, it helps skin heal faster after injury or infection, it can be taken also to help babies in the womb develop necessary fats for development.
I hope I have convinced you to use coconut oil. It is a natural way to increase moisture in your hair, your face and it can enhance the taste of your food. There are so many other ways to use coconut oil and these are just a few reasons why you need to slowly add it to your life.
Featured image via www.well-beingsecrets.com.
Benefits of Beauty: 5 Benefits Of Jojoba Oil Vs Coconut Oil