For 10 years now, the Equity Group in partnership with the MasterCard Foundation and other partners in a programme called Wings to Fly, have offered a comprehensive education scholarship from all over the country. The criteria to select these student has always been about excellent performers yet, financially disadvantaged students. Once selected, each student is equipped with funds covering, tuition, books, uniform, transport costs and pocket money. The students also receive mentorship and leadership training in the course of their studies.
This year, a total of 1000 KCPE top performing scholars were announced and awarded the Wings to Fly Secondary School Scholarships in a commissioning ceremony attended by Education Cabinet Secretary Ambassador Amina Mohammed. The 1000 students join other students to form 16,168 total students under the programme. A total of 20,000 applications were received this year, an indication of the growth in popularity of the programme as well as the determination for education all over the world. The Cabinet Secretary highlighted the importance of educating the country’s next generation and also noted that the programme was in line with the country’s Vision 2030 in the implementation and improvement of secondary education.
Equity Group Holdings CEO and MD and Equity Group Foundation Executive Chairman Dr James Mwangi reminded the students that with much is given, much is expected. That, an opportunity presented to the students was a responsibility towards themselves, their families and their communities.
The Wings to Fly initiative has for ten years continued to greatly impact bright students from vulnerable backgrounds, who would have otherwise missed the opportunity to explore their talents. Application for students is done online or offline, that is then followed by a comprehensive interview process before those that qualify are announced. Application for the scholarship for secondary school is now closed until later into the year for the 2019/2020 students.
To Apply for the Wings to Fly Scholarship, note the following:
- Candidates who have attained 350 marks and above are advised to fill in the application form, attach their slip and return the same to the nearest Equity Bank branch or Equity Bank Agent.
- Application forms can be obtained online or from Equity Bank or nearby Equity Bank Agents
- Completed application forms must be returned to the Equity Bank branch or Equity Bank Agent not later than 10th January
- Shortlisted students will be invited for interviews which will be conducted by the Equity Group Foundation District Scholarship Selection Board.
- The Wings to Fly scholarship caters for school fees, books, uniform, transport, shopping and pocket money for the four years of secondary school.
Read more on how non-governmental organisations are getting involved in empowering students in education: Safaricom Initiatives Focusing On Education Are Changing The Lives Of Many Kenyan Students
KeyWords: Equity Foundation, Wings to Fly, MasterCard Foundation