Eggs are essential in the kitchen. They can be used in so many ways to bring out a unique flavour. They create structure and stability within a batter and help to thicken and emulsify sauces and custards. On top of this, they add moisture to cakes and other baked goods and can even act as glue or glaze.
There are five egg recipes that stand out among the rest:
- Scotched egg
- Mayai pasua
- Egg curry
- Egg salad
- Tomato and egg stir-fry
How to make Mayai Pasua
Popular in the Kenyan street-food scene, Mayai Pasua is simply an egg that has kachumbari in the middle. It has a very simple recipe and is extremely delicious.
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- Coriander leaves (Dhania)
- Fresh Chilli
- Salt to taste
2. Dice up your onions into very small cubes. Soak them in a bowl of vinegar for about five minutes to neutralize the sulphur and make the onions less intense. The vinegar also adds a bit of flavor to the overall taste.
3. Put water in a saucepan, add your eggs and bring to a boil for about fifteen minutes. The timing for this should be exact otherwise the egg will be watery and unfit to make the Mayai Pasua.
4. In the meantime, dice up tomatoes, chilli and dhania to small cubes, just about the same size as the onions
5. Mix up the dhania, chilli, tomatoes and onions in a separate bowl. Add salt to taste.
6. Once your fifteen minutes are over, remove the shell from the egg and cut it up in half.
7. Add the kachumbari mixture into the boiled egg
8. You may garnish it with a little dhania.
How to make scotched eggs
Scotched eggs are an all-time favourite. Essentially, they are a layer of a boiled egg, ground sausage and bread crumbs on the top. The process may be time-consuming but the overall product is worth it.
- Three eggs
- Four Beef/ Chicken/ Pork Sausages
- Bread Crumbs
- Deep Frying Oil
- All-Purpose Flour
2. Bring two of the eggs to a boil in a saucepan for fifteen minutes.
3. As the eggs are boiling, remove the top hard layer of each of the sausages.
4. Mix the sausages with some parsley.
5. Once the eggs have boiled for fifteen minutes, remove the shell from each of them.
6. Work the sausage meat around the egg using flour to ensure that no cracks are left in the egg.
7. At this point, place the egg and sausage covering in the fridge for about ten minutes to set.
8. Beat the remaining egg in a separate bowl.
9. Deep the boiled egg and sausage into the beaten egg and then add breadcrumbs. Do this for each of the boiled eggs.
10. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
11. Once the oil is hot, add the eggs and fry them until golden brown.
12. Drain excess oil on a paper towel, and then cut each scotched egg into two.
13. Serve hot.
How to make Egg Curry
An egg curry is a simple and cheaper alternative for stew that goes with just about any type of carbohydrate.
Two cloves of garlic
Black pepper powder
Dhania (Coriander Leaves)
2. Heat the oil in a pan then add chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Fry until the onions become golden brown.
3. In a separate saucepan, bring the eggs to a boil for about 15 minutes.
4. Once your onions are well fried, add the garam masala, chilli, turmeric and coriander. Allow the mixture to fry under low heat until a roasted aroma is smelt.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for about five minutes when the tomatoes begin to boil.
6. Add ¼ cup of water and allow to boil. At this point you can add the boiled eggs, each chopped into half and then allow to simmer for fifteen minutes.
How to make an egg salad
This is for the salad lovers. An egg salad is a simple and yet extremely tasty recipe. On top of that it is healthy and gives satiety value.
- Two eggs
- White vinegar
2. Boil two eggs in a saucepan for about fifteen minutes.
3. Chop your onions to small pieces and then soak in vinegar for about five minutes to neutralize the harsh effect of the sulphur.
4. Once the eggs are ready, remove the shell and chop them to smaller pieces.
5. You may want to mash the eggs gently to form a consistent texture.
6. Add mayonnaise, onions, pepper and salt to taste.
How to make a tomato and egg stir-fry
This is a timeless recipe. I cannot emphasize my love for this meal, especially served with ugali. It’s a very quick recipe which is more motivation for those who don’t like to spend too much time in the kitchen. This dish originated in China.
- Two eggs
- Two tomatoes
- Two tablespoons of oil
- Salt to taste
2. In a bowl, beat the two eggs using a whisker. The key to this recipe is a well-beaten egg, so do this until you have bubbles in the egg.
3. Add salt and pepper to the egg.
4. Heat a pan with oil and add the eggs.
5. Chop tomatoes into medium-sized cubes.
6. Use a fork to scramble the eggs in the pan as they cook. Ensure that they don’t overcook as this will take away the tenderness of the recipe.
7. Add the tomatoes to the eggs.
8. Do a quick stir fry and serve immediately.
Check out this article: How To Make Hash Browns, Avocado and Egg Breakfast
Featured image from www.seriouseats.com