Oats have numerous health benefits. In fact, they are among the healthiest grains on earth. They are a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants. The benefits include weight loss, lowering blood sugar levels and reducing the risk of heart disease.
While oats are super nutritious, it may not be the best tasting cereal. Therefore, it is necessary to find ways to enhance your oats by adding other ingredients that do not compromise on the nutritional value.
Here are a few recipes you might want to try for your oats:
- Apple pie oatmeal
This recipe adds apple and other ingredients to make it more tasty and palatable.
- A bowl of oats
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 apple that’s diced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, oats and cinnamon. Stir until the milk is absorbed and the texture is consistent. When the oatmeal is ready put it in bowls.
- Put your apple slices in the oatmeal after it is cooked so that the crunch does not disappear.
- It will take about 15-20 minutes for all the milk to be absorbed and the texture to become consistent
- Once this is done, you may serve your oatmeal while hot.
- You might want to add a syrup such as maple syrup to enhance the taste of the oatmeal.
2. Oat cookies
Everyone loves cookies, and especially because they’re also easy to pack so you can have them while on the run. This recipe combines ingredients to make oat cookies that are extremely tasty and will leave you longing for more.
image from https://www.livewellbakeoften.com/soft-chewy-oatmeal-raisin-cookies/Ingredients
- ¾ cup organic all-purpose flour
- Half a tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon of margarine/butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups oats
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whip your margarine and sugar then add in the egg.
- Add a cup of water, and then add the dry ingredients and mix them together properly.
- Add in the oats and mix again.
- Preheat your oven
- Use a cookie cutter to shape the cookies and then put them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes when they turn to a golden brown.
3. Strawberry and banana oats
Adding fruits to your oatmeal is a plus because you get nutritional benefits from both foods. Strawberries can be quite expensive, but take solace in the fact that your final product will be extremely tasty.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large strawberries
- 1 small banana
- Slice your strawberries and bananas thinly and put them aside
- In a saucepan, add water and then add the oats and stir properly until they are done.
- Put the oatmeal in your bowl and then add the strawberries and bananas without cooking them.
- You might also want to add some honey, which also has nutritional benefits and at the same time, it is tasty.
- Serve while hot.
4. Oat pancakes
I have never met anyone that doesn’t like pancakes. The fluff and texture are just so appealing and can have you over-eating very easily. Now imagine putting oats into your pancakes and having a healthy yet tasty meal. It’s a win-win situation.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of oil
- Combine flour, oats and baking powder then mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, egg and a tablespoon of oil. Mix well.
- Now bring the dry ingredients together with the combined milk, egg and oil.
- Stir in the ingredients together to form a consistent texture.
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- For each pancake, use a ¼ cup of the batter and turn it over when it starts to bubble
- Serve your pancakes hot. You can also add maple syrup.
- Oats smoothie
If you’re looking for a quick way out of getting the nutritional value of oats without necessarily eating it, an oats smoothie is a way out. You can combine whichever fruits you love, but my favourite has to be the strawberry oats smoothie.
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 cup milk
- A pack of Strawberries
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- Combine the oats, strawberries, milk and sugar in a blender.
- Blend until it becomes smooth and the texture is appealing.
- You might want to refrigerate it for a while.
- Serve chilled.