Nothing intrigues me like a woman on the red carpet, wearing a risque dress, back is showing, cleavage on fleek but no bra is on sight, What sorcery could that be? In this article, we shall uncover the types of bras to wear underneath backless dresses their key features, and the pros and cons of wearing each. Knowing this will give you some insight on how the different bras might fit you, so you don’t end up with a bra that you will wear once then give up on life and everything backless.
- Convertible bra
The convertible bra can be converted into 3 types of bra and can be worn with a countless number of fabrics with different cuts and styles. As a low back bra, it can be worn with the conventional low cut backless dresses and tops but you can also convert it to halter, one shoulder, strapless, or a criss-cross bra to wear it with the particular outfits. This bra won’t work if the dress is completely open back.
- Has straps which offer great support, hence the best option for people with big busts
- It’s comfortable.
- Never slips down
- Convertible form
- Has removable adjustable
- Can fit any breast shape and size
- Might not work if you have a fuller frame. The straps will rest mid-torso which goes against why a convertible bra is a better option for low cut backless dresses.
- Straps can dig a little giving you a weird muffin top around the belly.
- Low centre front, thus no full coverage.
Nevertheless, coverage will vary by style. You can leverage the straps to make it adhere closer to your body for maximum coverage and support.
2. The U plunge bra for a low back design dress
If you want to kill two birds with one stone, more like get to wear two very overwhelming dresses with one bra, then get the u-plunge bra.
This bra has a plunge in the front, hence you can wear it with plunge dresses and its back is strapless, or has low back straps, making it the best option for backless and low back design dresses. It goes without saying, that if the plunge bra is not backless it won’t be the best for a completely open-back outfit. Unless that’s the style you’re going for.
- It’s versatile and the best fit for low cut outfits, deep v-necklines and
- Works as a push-up bra, by adding roundness and fullness to the breasts. This makes it the best bra for wide-set, or A-cups.
- The plunge function adds to the overall support and comfort.
- Comes in different styles so there’s plenty of options to choose from.
- Looks appealing only on people with firm breasts
- The backless, u-plunge bra may not offer the needed support to someone with a bigger bust.
3. Low back bra
If you miss the convertible bra, the low back bra can be your alternative. This bra hooks around the small of your back making it ideal for dresses that have a low back design.
- Very stylish
- Comes in different styles including, strapless or push up with sturdy straps.
- Works best for people with smaller busts and a petite frame.
- Some can be configured to different styles.
- Low coverage
- Not ideal for people with big busts.
4. stick-on bra cups
If your backless dress fits like a glove and you have smaller busts then this is the ideal option for you. Stick on bra cups on small-sized busts offer ample support and protection. However, on heavy breasts, this would not be a good option. This is because stick on bra cups tend to cover only the front and lower half of the breast. The adhesive is usually strong offering you a couple of uses before the bra is deemed useless.
- Great for fashion over comfort.
- Ideal for small size busts or artificial breasts.
- Bad in providing support.
- Not for everyone
5. Use breast petals
When your dress is backless and you feel like going braless, breast petals will work in your favour. Breast pasties or petals are disposable stick-on flowers that you fit over your nipple to conceal it whenever you’re going braless. An alternative is the non-adhesive petals which can be re-used, although they have to be worn under a skin-fitting outfit to keep them in place.
- Ideal for a bra-less look.
- Comfortable especially for people who prefer going braless, or when the weather is too hot to layer on clothes.
- Fitting for people with small or medium round breasts.
- A good option if you want coverage over support.
- No support
- Limited coverage, actually none.
- Not ideal for everyone.
If you would prefer going braless completely, try the body adhesive or a double side fashion tape to keep your clothes from slipping or showing too much bust. A breast lift tape is also an option if you don’t mind showing the nipple but you need a little support.
6. Silicone stick on bra
If the stick on bra cups are not the best option for you, you may try the silicon stick-on bra. This bra contains self- adhesive silicone pads which stick on the breasts to provide coverage and fulness. Women with A, B and small C cup size will find this bra comfortable as it takes on the natural shape of the breast to provide the needed lift and support.
- Come in various styles
- Strapless and backless
- Ideal for smaller busts
- The best choice for completely open backless dresses.
- Little support
- No lift if worn on bigger busts.
7. Your ordinary bra
Yes, it possible. How? First, you need a bra with removable straps or a strapless bra. With the help of a dressmaker, have the bra band replaced with a transparent non-stretch band. Attach transparent plastic straps on the bra for support and you’re good to go. Or, take out the bra cups from your push up bra and sew them to your dress. Sewin bra cups might work for someone with small-sized bust or if wearing a tight-fitting dress but they might disappoint you if you are a D-cup and above.
8. Low-cut corset
The low cut back and flexible boning at the centre is what makes this type of corset great to pair with semi-backless dresses. The front may have an underwire for support and lift. It can also be worn with strapless outfits or underneath ordinary tops. Looks best if worn with tight-fitting clothes.
- Shapes your body.
- Ideal for firm breasts.
- Helps with posture.
- Might not feel very comfortable especially around the belly.
- Huge breasts will spill over.
Here are 7 Hacks For Wearing Backless Dresses
Also, check out Tips To Finding The Right Fitting Bra