While it may not be challenging to do facial in the comfort of your home, pampering your lady bits, aka a vajacial maybe a whole other story. It might be because it’s not something you consider as conventional as doing a beauty routine or maybe because you are new to the idea. Whichever the case, it never hurts to show some TLC to any part of your body when you have the chance. This is why in this article we shall cover how you can have your own vajacial from the comfort of your home.
But before that let’s uncover what a vajacial is and the benefits of getting one.
A vajacial is equivalent to a facial, only that it’s done on your vulva. This beauty routine is essential for getting rid of pubic hair, unclogging the skin around your genitalia, evening out the skin and hydrating it to keep it smooth.
The benefits of a vajacial include;
- It promotes healthy and hydrated skin.
- It removes lumps, bumps and prevents ingrown hairs.
- It cleanses the area around the vulva.
- It removes dead cells and prevents hyperpigmentation.
Even though vajacials are mostly recommended, experts warn against getting this treatment done in a spa because;
- The esthetician/vajacialist may be too rough with the skin around your genitals causing harm and abrasions.
- The spa may not be taking the necessary health precautions putting you at risk of infection. Health: All about bacterial vaginosis
- Some procedures may lead to allergic reactions, inflammation and irritation.
So how do you do your own vajacial at home?
- Start on cleansed skin. You may use a non-scented mild soap and warm water to cleanse the area around the vulva.
- Shave off the excess hair using a sharp razor or wax it off. Here’s the lowdown on waxing your pubic hair
- Wash off the skin then exfoliate. To avoid irritating the skin, a gentle exfoliator, such as the one you would use on your face is highly recommended. Since the skin around your vulva is thin and most sensitive use gentle motions while exfoliating.
- Use tweezers to get rid of ingrown hairs then apply a mask.
- For a brightening effect, you can use a yoghurt mask. Mix 1 teaspoon PLAIN yoghurt, make sure it is plain and has no additives. Add a ¼ slice of orange, some of the orange pulp and 1 teaspoon of Aloe Vera. For this option let it sit for 5 minutes and wash off with warm water. You can also use the yoghurt alone by applying it and waiting for 20 minutes before you rinse it off with warm water.
- Apply aloe vera gel or coconut oil to calm and moisturise the skin. Your vajacial is done.
Always ensure that no product gets inside the vagina. The purpose of a vajacial is to take care of the skin around the genitals and not inside the vagina.
If you are still not convinced that you should do a vajacial at home, then here is what you need to know about doing it with a professional. Health & Beauty: Everything You Need To Know About Vajacials
Speaking of hygiene, here are 6 ways to maintain good menstrual hygiene.