Hair mousse is surprisingly one of the less popular products in Kenya. Before one reaches out for hair mousse on the shelf, they will probably pick shampoo, conditioner, or hair oil. Just like the name suggests, hair mousse is a type of hair styling product that comes in the form of thick foam. It has a consistent texture that is bubbly. When you think of mousse, it’s hard not to think about all the big, bold, and budge-proof ’80s hairstyles it became associated with.
Typically, hair mousse is used more for loose curls. However, the product has recently gained popularity among African naturalistas, which has tighter and more packed coils. Brooke Michie, who is a curl stylist, says that she loves using mousse on her curly-haired clients because it’s “easy to apply, economical per use, has buildable coverage and hold, and can be layered with so many other types of products.”
Benefits of hair mousse
You may be wondering why you should invest in an extra hair product. Well, the answer is deceptively simple. Hair mousse is so special because it combines a number of styling benefits into a single, foamy formula. Here are some of the benefits of hair mousse:
1. It can treat and protect your hair. The new wave of hair mousse products can fight humidity, give hair shine and definition, and can even provide heat defence.
2. Hair mousse is a perfect styling agent. The styles mousse can help create are as diverse as its hair benefits.
3. Hair mousse is very versatile. It can replace many other hair products and be used in the place of hair spray, volumizer, and texturizer spray.
4. Hair mousse helps your curls to stay curly. While curly hair can sometimes be resilient to all types of products, mousse is one of the few that can actually ‘tame’ naturally wild curls. Instead of weighing them down or greasing them up mousse lifts curls and makes them touchable and soft.
5. Hair mousse has certain conditioning properties and is used to safeguard your shafts from the sun, harsh winds, pollution, dust, etc.
6. Lastly, unlike many other products, there is no harm in using hair mousse every day. You can make your tresses look shiny and healthy.
How to use hair mousse
A product is only good if you follow its instructions. So depending on the hair mousse that you buy, make sure to read through the user guide and follow it to the letter. Here are the general instructions of how to use hair mousse:
1. Apply a generous amount of hair mousse all over your head, working in sections on fully detangled hair.
2. Smooth the product into your hair from the mid-shaft to the ends.
3. If you like, you can go the extra mile to detangle your hair a second time using either a wide-toothed comb or a Denman brush.
4. Allow hair to dry naturally or use a diffuser.
5. When it is fully dry, use a pick to fluff out your roots and give you all-over volume.
Some of the hair mousse brands available in Kenya are Cantu, Keyara, and Shea Moisture. Prices range from between 2,000 to 3,000 Kenya shillings.