Everyone wants blemish-free skin but sometimes, this is out of our control. Due to several factors such as genetics, pregnancy, sun damage, and acne, you may find yourself suffering from a condition known as skin pigmentation. This is where the skin produces more melanin in certain areas making patches of skin appear darker. It normally isn’t harmful but most people would want to get rid of it. Luckily, there are easy home remedies that can treat skin pigmentation. Here are some.
Red onion extracts are commercially used in skin-lightening products. This is because onions contain antioxidants that protect our skin from sun damage. Their flavonoid content can also increase the absorption of Vitamin C in the body which is an excellent brightening agent. As such, it can be used to lighten skin pigmentation issues such as moles, scars, and sunspots. The Health Benefits Of Onions
- Cut a red onion in half.
- Place one-half on the problem area.
- Rub the red onion gently on the skin.
- Leave the juice on the skin for a few hours.
- Wash off with cold water.
Black Tea Water
Like red onions, black tea contains antioxidant properties that slow the ageing process. It was used traditionally as a beauty remedy and it’s found in some skincare products today. It protects the skin from sun damage and other environmental pollutants that causes skin pigmentation. Additionally, its caffeine content tightens and tones the skin which can give a brightening effect. 11 Health Benefits Of Green Tea
- Add a tablespoon of fresh black tea leaves to a cup of boiling distilled water.
- Leave for two hours then strain to remove the leaves.
- Soak a cotton ball in the tea water and apply it to areas of pigmentation twice a day.
- Repeat every day for six days a week over four weeks.
Tomatoes are just a tasty food that we use in salads and other meals. You can use it as a beauty product as well. It’s well-known for lightening and brightening the skin. This is because of a compound known as lycopene which protects the skin from long-term and short-term sun damage. Tomatoes are also a rich source of Vitamins A, B, and C which lightens the appearance of blemishes on the skin. Tomatoes For Beauty And Skin Care
- Take a fresh tomato and cut it in half.
- Chop one half into small pieces.
- Blend the tomato pieces and prepare tomato pulp.
- Massage it all over the face gently with your fingertips.
- Leave it on the skin for 15-20 minutes before washing off with fresh, cool water.
- Reapply every alternate day.
Avocadoes are a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and oleic acid which makes them a great remedy for skin pigmentation. They neutralize free radical particles caused by exposure to UV rays from the sun. This slows the skin’s ageing process and boosts its appearance. Avocadoes also reduce the occurrence of acne thus reducing the chances of skin pigmentation due to acne scarring. 7 Benefits Of Adding Avocadoes To Your Diet
- Slice a ripe avocado into two equal parts and remove the pit.
- Take one of them and scrape the flesh off.
- Put this flesh into a small bowl.
- Mash it with a fork until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Use your fingers to apply the mashed avocado to your face.
- Let it sit on your skin for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another home remedy you can use to treat skin pigmentation. It contains acetic acid which works like a chemical peel that gradually exfoliates the skin revealing healthier and brighter skin. It’s also a great toner for acne-prone skin thanks to its antibacterial properties. This helps reduce blemishes caused by acne giving you flawless, even skin. Don’t use it every day. 2-4 times a week is ideal otherwise your skin might become very sensitive. Skincare: Signs You Have Sensitive Skin And How To Care For It
- Combine 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 3 tablespoons of water in a small container.
- Apply the mixture over pigmented areas once per day using a cotton pad.
- Let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Apply moisturizer and continue with your usual skincare routine. 6 Common Mistakes People Make With Their Skincare Routine
Make sure you are always using sunscreen – Skincare: The Benefits Of Sunscreen And How To Apply It Properly